Women at work

I have a PhD in electrical engineering and have been teaching and doing programming and IT for ... too many years. (specializing in networks and security) I am not going to disclose my age! I am one of very few women of my age who STAYED in the field, since it is super competitive macho field. But here I am! I use my engineering skills for everything I do. In this blog, I will share anything from technical to social comments on technology.

Friday, June 5, 2009

Things to consider when getting a new job

Q: I could move from Texas and work for Stanford. Comments?

Milica: Let's compile a list of things to consider:

how exciting is the work place? I bet Stanford is way cool - the people are smart and they must be doing some very interesting work. It is probably nice to be in such invigorating environment.

The down side of "invigorating":
do you have to work 1000 hrs per week under stress? which you might say YES because it is interesting to you, you have no kids, etc.

does it pay well?

is it independent job where you call the shots and nobody is pestering you, or will there be some moron politics?

how about growth and promotion? related to the items above.

do you like living in that town? Silicon Valley will be the most competitive, enterprenural spot on the entire Earth. People will be swapping their startup business cards during your kids soccer game. Do you like that?

Last but not least: no matter how bad it is, is it better than what you have now; or maybe the only thing now (e.g lost job etc.)

Seems like you have the reins in your hands, they asked you, so go interview and see how you like it. From Texas to Silicon Valley is a huge cultural jump.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home